Friday 20 June 2014

Adventures in Western New South Wales

I have spent the past three weeks based in Broken Hill, doing some secondment with with the NSW Mines department. The work has involved doing site inspections of closed mines, to see if any further rehabilitation work is required. Some photos from my adventures ate included in this post. 

I have travelled around the western half of NSW to do this work, from almost the Queensland border to across the border and into Victoria. The places I have visited include Silverton, Mount Robe, Cobar, Bourke, Wilcannia, Menindee,  Ivanhoe, Hay, Goolgowi, Balranald, Moulamein, Touleybuc, Robinvale, Mildura and Wentworth. I have racked up more than 3200km in travel, which has been interesting to see places I've never been before but it has been tiring and not conducive to riding my bike!

As I was away for three weeks, I did bring my bike with me because I didn't want to go that long without riding. However, due to the long days and the amount of travel I've been doing, I think I've only ridden six times in the past three weeks. Usually I would ride six times in one week!

I have discovered that the social part of riding is important to me. It is much more fun to ride with someone. It is not so much fun to ride on straight flat roads by yourself, particularly when you don't realise there is a tailwind until you turn around after 40km and you are struggling at less than 20kph into a head wind ....

I have also discovered that doing more physical work makes me less inclined to ride, as I'm already tired. Also that sitting in a car for hours saps me of energy. Cycling and being active gives me more energy. I also eat much better when I'm riding. I eat because I'm hungry and I need to refuel, not just because I haven't eaten for a couple of hours.

I have really enjoyed my time in Broken Hill, it is a nice sized town and everyone is very friendly. I've enjoyed living in a country town again. But I'm happy to be heading back to Perth, back to my own place, and to catchup with family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment