Saturday 14 September 2013

Gli Dolomiti (The Dolomites)

The past two days have been a lot more focused on cycling and resting than the trip to date - which has been a nice change!

I picked up my travelling companion, Kalvin, from Milan airport, and we have been based in the Dolomites. Which is a World Heritage Site, by the way

Yesterday I did a ride down the mountain, along the river for an hour or so, then the 9km climb back up the mountain. The climb went well; I have realised that when I'm feeling fresh at the start of a climb I need to watch my power output and keep it within sustainable levels, otherwise my power profile graph tends to go in the opposite direction to the elevation - downhill.

In the afternoon I did some yoga on a terrace overlooking the mountains, had a quick dip in a lap pool, then decided to take the plunge and get naked so I could fully partake of the "spa". I spent some time in the steam bath, hoping it would help my cold. Unfortunately my cold has not improved. Although that may have something to do with being conquered by another mountain today ...

After my success riding the first 9km of the mountain yesterday, I decided to try to tackle the whole climb today. The weather was idyllic and I figured I may as well practice climbing mountains while I have the chance.

The route was called the Passo della Erbe, and I had read that it was scenic and not too steep, apart from a section just above the town we are staying in (San Pietro). That was true ... But the steep section was ridiculously steep (14-16% for tens of metres and the rest >10%) and a lot longer than I had hoped - it took me almost half an hour to get past this section to the easier part of the climb. And by this stage it was just survival mode, keep going pedal stroke by pedal stroke, counting down the km to the top.

I eventually made it to the top after two hours and 21km. My average speed was 11km/hr, which I was actually pleasantly surprised about. 1km can be a very long way when the gradient is >10%.

Happily the descent took me less than 1/4 of that time, even though I was riding like a grandma due to factors such as blind corners, oncoming traffic on a road only wide enough for one car, angular gravel, cow pats and potholes. At least I was warm with my Aussie team rain jacket on!

Luckily I managed to find a cafe in town that was still serving food at 2:30pm and I got the ham and cheese roll I had been anticipating on the descent. Recovery food European style!

The afternoon was spent resting and watching the Vuelta a Espana being fought and won on a mountain even steeper than what I had been riding!

Oh and there are cows here - with bells on! ��

No comments:

Post a Comment