Saturday 7 September 2013

Val d'Aran Cycling Tour - race report

Well that was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

There were at least 145 starters, including 13 women (excluding any who registered this morning). There were 5 females in my age category, which was more than I expected and I didn't know this until after the race.

The rain held off until about 2 minutes after the race started. Within 5km of the start, I had puddles in my shoes and I didn't get dry again until more than eight hours later, after I finished and had a shower.

I was super nervous at the start, so I was trying to ride sensibly and wait until some of my nervous energy dissipated. I didn't fight for position as I was happier being near the back with a bit more space. I also figured with all the climbs we had to do, the results wouldn't be decided on the first 15 flat km. There was a crash about 10km in, it slowed me down a touch but at least I wasn't caught up in it.

The first climb started 15km into the ride, and was 8.2km long. It was the easiest of the four major climbs, with an average gradient of 6.7%. I had also done a recon of this climb the previous day, so it helped to have an idea of what to expect. I basically held my own on the climb, I was passed by a handful of people and passed a few myself.

The first feed station was at the top of this climb (and at the top of the other three climbs). This is the only feed station I didn't stop at.

I continued straight onto the descent. Which I rode like a grandmother. I felt like Wiggo in the Giro this year, crawling down gingerly. Of course it didn't help that it was raining, wet roads, so foggy I could only see about 20m in front of me, there were some patches of gravel, and it was the first time I'd ever seen the road. Not that I could see much. I got passed by only about half a dozen people though!

After the steep descent, there was another 30km gradual downhill/flattish. We also made our way through some little towns and back streets. Luckily I met up with (was passed by) a group of four local guys at the start of this flat section, and they encouraged me to join with them. Three of them were rolling turns at the front and worked well together, so I sat on the back and tried to eat something. With cold wet hands I had to concentrate hard not to drop anything!

We all stopped at the feed station at the end of this section, which was just before the BIG climb. I needed to use the bathroom but unfortunately there were no facilities available. Note to self: next time, make sure you relieve yourself BEFORE doing a 20km climb.

The next climb was the big one. 19.2km long, average gradient of 5.9%, reaching an elevation of 1714m at the peak. It was my first time doing such a long climb, so I tried to keep my power output within a manageable level at the start.

I should point out, due to the rain my Garmin was very confused about the elevation. I was getting readings of 0.6% or -7% when I was struggling uphill, and crazy things like 136%. Not helpful. At least I still had power, heart rate and cadence.

This climb, the Port due Bales, has been used in the Tour and probably also the Vuelta. It was hard, a battle of mind over matter, or maybe just habit and sheer stubborn pigheaded-ness, to keep the pedals turning.

When I got to the top, I was gasping for breath and it took me ages to catch my breath due to the thinner air. I was also close to tears. But the fantastic supplies and volunteers at the feed station helped :) I had coke, custard and apple tart and chocolate. I needed the comfort food and the sugar. I also needed the toilet. The best they could offer was a squat behind a truck - I took them up on it.

I spent 10-15 min up there, composing myself and getting sorted. Which meant by the time I started to descend I was already getting cold. Not good. I also discovered at the start line that the zipper on my wind vest was stuffed from my accident last week. I put it on but it didn't help much. Underneath I had only a soaking wet jersey and arm warmers. I was fully aware I was in trouble.

Unfortunately the roads were still soaking so I could only descend as fast as I was comfortable doing. Within minutes I was shaking. I had 20km to go.

That descent was mentally tough. I was trying to go fast where I could, so that I could get to the next climb and warm up. The shaking got worse, then my hands went numb. Its hard to change gears when you can't feel them. I was also worried about not having the strength to brake, I literally couldn't feel or move my fingers or hands. I figured at least I was still shaking, so I didn't yet have hypothermia. I just kept moving, kept getting closer to the next climb, kept trying to increase activity to warm up. I felt like the guys riding Milan-San Removed in the snow this year.

Eventually I reached the next climb. This was the back side of the first climb, but was longer and steeper. 8.6km long with an average gradient of 7.2%. I tackled this climb well, probably because I was trying to warm up! I passed three women, which was a big pep up for my spirits and I thought would help with the race results.

I was struggling by the top though, feeling the need for more energy. So I had a ham and cheese sandwich and more coke (thanks to the feed station) and a gel.

The descent from this climb felt much better. I guess there's nothing like descending numerous mountains in the rain to improve descending skills. It may also have helped that I did the descent yesterday on my recon.

I met up with a lady from NZ as we started the last climb. I was worried about this one: 7km long with an average gradient of 8.3%. It was good to have some conversation at the start to distract me. I was feeling good for the first 4km of this climb, but then my lower back started to get sore from all the pressure it had been under today. Km 5-6 were very hard, and again came down to my determination to not get off the bike. The last km had an easier gradient of only 6%. Which was lucky as it was unsealed. Who knew that Mel's gravel training would be needed today! It was cyclo cross for the last km of the ascent and the first km of the descent. There was also a short section of full on cobblestones. So in this one event I experienced the Giro, the Tour, Milan-San Removed and Paris-Roubaix.

The rest of the descent was great road and would have been lots of fun in the dry. Instead it was raining so hard it stung my face and I had to scrunch up my eyes. Oh and every so often I would round a corner into a wall of headwind. But there was only 15km to go and they told me at the feed station that there were only 3 females in front of me, so my spirits were up.

The lady from NZ passed me on the descent, but I caught her on the gentle uphill back to Vielha. Only 6km to go, and I pushed as hard as I could. I caught her quickly and she held me wheel to the end but didn't try to take the finish ahead of me.

I finished 74 overall, 4th female but sadly the three ladies in front of me were all in my age category. And only the first three qualify. I spoke to the race organiser at the presentations and got him just as the right time, and with the right introduction - he will be giving me a wild card entry :) 

You can access the race results and photos from this website: www.valdarancyclingtour.com - go to the classifications tab.

My race time was 7:28:32 including all my breaks. Ride time according to Garmin was just under 7 hours.

Did I mention I was riding through rain all day? There was also thunder and lightning. On an unrelated note, while having dinner tonight in a restaurant next to the church, the church clock tower was struck by lightning and set on fire. There was am almighty bang, shingles flew everywhere, an explosion as the power went out outside. Lucky we were safe inside.

What an eventful day!


PS can you guess which photo is from the start and the end of the race? And can you guess which scenery photo was from my recon in the sun?


2 comments:

  1. Fantastic to read things are going so well - and some magnificent photos! So many wonderful places to visit in France! Good luck with the rest of the Tour!

    ReplyDelete