Monday 23 September 2013

UWCT Road Race - Race Report

It was an early start on the morning of the road race. After being jittery and nervous at the start of the race in Vielha, I decided I needed to do a warmup before the final. So I was up at 5:30am for a 30 min warmup along the river bike path. Feeling more relaxed and prepared, I had breakfast, got into my green and gold kit, and headed to the race start.

We started in our age groups, from oldest females to youngest males on the long course, followed by those doing the shorter course. My age group set off second, at 8:02am.

We started from the main Piazza, with about 200m of cobblestones to navigate first up. I missed clipping in off the start line, very embarrassing, and by the time I got both shoes in, the rest of the pack was 100m down the road. Not good. Another Aussie was also slow off the mark, so we had to chase for the first km or so to get back onto our group - they were on a mission! Not an ideal start to the race.

We caught the group in front of us quickly, and things then settled down a little ... For the next 9km anyway.

Then we turned right, and the business of the race started - we were onto the first climb.

I stayed with the group for, oh, the first 500m or so up the climb. About three of us dropped off quickly. I was working above threshold but within myself, as I knew if I could stay with a group over the climb it would be much easier on the flats. After about 5-10 min, my group had truly pulled away from me. I then started getting passed by the men's groups coming from behind. And they were much faster. My main objective was to stay out of their way and not get knocked over! By this stage I had realised that I was in the "slow lane" and I was working at a level I could maintain up the climb.

We reached the "top" of the climb, where there is a countdown for the last 300m and it goes downhill. But, as I had been warned, it then kicked up to about 16% for a few hundred metres. That is what I'd been saving my energy for!

Going downhill, I was still taking it relatively easy around the hairpins. I was also quite nervous with lots of guys passing me going at least 20kph faster than me and not leaving me much room. Then we passed a crash where at least four riders had gone down, they were lying all over the place looking dazed and at least one had totally buckled the wheels on his bike. Now I was really nervous and continued descending like a grandma, trying to stay out of the way of the fast guys but also keep away from the edge of the road and force them to leave me enough room. Too much fun.

Finally I got to the end of the descent and turned left onto the highway for the 40km flat section. There was a group of about half a dozen guys that I got onto the back of ... For about 1km. I kept dropping off the back and sprinting to get back on, and eventually gave up. By this time, I had realised that Race Plan A was out the window. I reverted to Race Plan B, which was simple: enjoy yourself.

Along the flat, several groups passed me but they were too fast for me to latch onto for long. I figured I would be riding alone unless someone took pity on me. Luckily it was a beautiful day, the sun was shining, there was little wind, and I could enjoy riding on a smooth two-lane highway with no cars ... And now no other crazy fast riders passing me either!

Although I was enjoying myself, I wasn't dawdling as in the back of my mind was my goal/hope to complete the race in under 5 hours. As I was motoring along the flat, a lovely Aussie gentleman in the 60-64 years category came by and asked how I was going. He wasn't particularly racing either, so we rode together and chatted for the next 15km or so.

After a toilet stop at the base of the second climb, we started up together. We rode about 3km of the climb together, then he pulled away from me and I never saw him again ... I'm sure its because he was riding a compact chain ring with 29 tooth gear on the back :p

I stopped briefly at the feed station at the top of the second climb, to have a Coke and put on warm layers (arm warmers and gilet). It was a fast descent, with sweeping bends for the most part, until a few hairpins at the bottom. I relaxed a little, taking up the whole road, with no more fast guys passing me.

Then a left turn back onto the highway and, wow, only 10km until the base of the last climb.

I had been eating energy chews on the flats and drinking carbs, but with 80km and two mountains under my belt I was starting to feel a bit tired. Nevertheless, I continued to ride at a respectable pace back to the base of Mount Bondone, picking up an Austrian guy along the way.

I stopped again at the feed station at the base of mountain - two cups of Coke and this time taking layers off. I was glad I had already Mount Bondone during recon, as it helped mentally and emotionally to know what was coming and know I could make it.

It was a long 20km. Each km takes a long time to tick over when you're doing an average speed of 9.6kph. Particularly when your Garmin keeps cutting in and out due to low speed and mountains getting in the way of  satellite signals. However, I'm proud to say that I passed more people on that mountain than at any other part of the race. I estimate I passed at least 15 people up the climb. My legs were still feeling good. The things that were holding me back were (a) sore lower back (b) shooting pains in my toes from rubbing on my shoes, which went up my calf when I got out of the saddle and (c) thinner air making it harder to breathe.

A couple of times in the last 8km or so I started to get quite emotional and slowed down a little to compose myself and get on top of my breathing.

Finally, surprisingly, I saw the sign for 500m to go. Then, the finish line. And Kalvin waiting ready to take the finish line photo! I rolled to a place out of the way, got off my bike, and tried to compose myself. I couldn't breathe, couldn't talk, and was overcome by emotion. It was great to be greeted by a couple of friends from Perth (Liz and Christine) and Kalvin to look after me.

Big thanks to Kalvin for being an awesome soignuer and carrying all my warm clothes, taking my bike, directing me to food, and waiting patiently while I talked to every Aussie I could see - even if I'd never met them before. I had passed two Aussies coming up the climb so it was great to congratulate them when they finished.

The spectators along the course were great, cheering "Australia" and "allez allez" (go, go). The police and volunteers giving direction and keeping the roads clear of traffic also did a great job. I made it my goal to make everyone smile, waving and saying "grazie, ciao".

I really enjoyed the ride and the event. It was terrific to experience representing Australia. I hope to do it again ... But I may need a few more years of training under my belt first. The riders here are on a whole different level!

The race results are at the website:
http://www.winningtimesportservices.it/MainPage.php?Action=9500f8f743d9ce8beb889acc5eb9e06c&Item=4251&IDRoute=8525&G=X&C=F30-34

I am proud to report that I was the slowest female overall, with a time of 5:38 (average speed 20.1kph for 112km). I was second slowest of all riders.

The fastest time was 3:30 and the fastest female was around 4 hours. Incredible.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome effort Emma, it has been a MASSIVE couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Emma on a fantastic effort all up. Love Dad.

    ReplyDelete